IELTS for Germany – Check for Score, Validity and Band Requirements
Essential Details About IELTS For Germany
Germany has plenty of reputed universities catering to the educational needs of lakhs and crores of students. The country doesn’t consider education as a commercial product, and so the quality of education is better and reasonable in comparison with other countries of the globe. The diplomas and degrees provided by the German universities after the completion of the course are accepted worldwide. Germany also is a powerful country with respect to market value and technology, and so it becomes a hub for foreign students to pursue their education.
The country invites students from all across the world to study in fields such as research, industry, and economy. The universities of Germany provide an excellent exposure to the students and help them flourish in their respective fields. Many public universities in the country do not charge any tuition fees, and that becomes a welcoming aspect for prospective students from the globe. If you are planning to apply into the top notch University of Germany, you have to fulfil certain requirements. One of the major requirements is to crack IELTS for Germany.
What are IELTS test formats and types for to study in Germany?
As per the English language proficiency test scores in the recent years, people from Germany are the top learners of the language. According to the statistics of the past few years, German speakers have achieved 7.3 as an average score in IELTS. Even the score of other non-native English speakers such as Tagalog, Polish, Filipino, and Romanian is excellent and they have performed amazingly in all the four parameters of IELTS that are listening, speaking, writing, and reading.
Similar to the other countries, there are two formats of IELTS for Germany too, they are General training and Academic. The general training version of the test is ideally useful for professional purposes and sometimes for certain courses too. However, the academic version is for educational purposes. In each of the format, there are four sections – listening, writing, reading, and speaking.
- Listening: This section is common to both the formats. It takes 30 minutes of time to complete the section. The idea is to know the ability of the candidate to understand the information and tone of the speaker. The format includes 4 types of recordings. The first one has a two people’s conversation, the second one includes a monologue of routine life, third includes a conversation of 4 people, and the fourth recording as a monologue on academics.
- Writing: This section is different in general test and academic format. In general test, there would be two tasks and the time limit is 60 minutes. In the first task, a letter has to be written based on a given scenario. The next task will be based on opinions and arguments that you have to present in your style. In the academic writing, the first task gives you a table, graph, or diagram, for which you need to give your explanation. The second task requires you to write an essay by giving certain examples.
- Reading: This is different in both the formats. In the academic reading, there are 40 questions with a time limit of 60 minutes. Based on the passage, you will be asked certain questions. In the general training test, it is similar but the passages are based on advertisements, brochures, or company guidelines. The section is here in comparison with that of academic format.
- Speaking: The section is almost the same in both the formats of IELTS test for Germany. It takes 11 to 14 minutes in which the test is divided into 3 parts. The motto of the task is to know how the candidate speaks the language and how proficient they are.
What are IELTS Score Requirements for Germany?
Germany has many universities that offer doctoral, bachelors, and masters courses in partial or complete English. If you want to enrol in those universities, you need to crack IELTS. However, not all universities in the country require the candidates to crack 7.0 or more as eligibility for IELTS for Germany visa. There are some universities that can accept the IELTS score of 4.5 to 6.5 too. Here are a few notable German universities with the IELTS score they look for.
- Heidelberg university
It requires an IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. It was established in 1386 and welcomes around 5,500 international students every year. The university provides more than 180 programs and are taught in English language. It is the oldest and one of the top universities in the country.
- RWTH Aachen University
You would need 6.5 as IELTS score to study in this university. It has a huge campus and was started in 1870. It offers 157 programs and has nine faculty departments. It is one of the popular universities for foreign students.
- University of Cologne
You may need to have 6.0 as a minimum IELTS score to get into this German university. It was established in 14th century, and since then it is a popular institution for the best quality education. It provides more than 335 programs and serves 49,000 students per year.
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
It is a well known public research university that requires 5.5 IELTS to get into any educational program. It ranks 32nd worldwide and welcomes more than 8,500 international students annually. It was established in 1472 and is a notable German university.
What are IELTS fees for Germany?
The fee for both the formats (academic and general training) of IELTS test for Germany is 233 EUR. You can pay the fee for the test in offline or online mode. You can either use debit or credit card as online modes of payment. If you want to pay through an offline mode, then you can do it via a demand draft. Make sure you book the slot in the centre near you in advance as they tend to get filled quickly.
What is the validity for IELTS score for Germany?
Once you give the test, the IELTS score for Germany will be valid for two years. That means you can apply for any German University with the score within the two years of giving the exam. After two years, the universities would not accept the old score and you may have to give the exam all over again.
Frequently Answered Questions for IELTS for Germany
1) Is 5.5 a good IELTS score for Germany?
There is nothing like a good or bad IELTS score for Germany. The eligibility depends on the universities. Some of them accept 5.5 while others may require 6.0, 6.5, or 7.0 as the score for enrolment. So, you need to check the universities that have a minimum score of what you got in the exam.
2) What exam is required other than IELTS for Germany?
Some of the universities also may ask for GRE or Graduate Record Examination that is an ETS conduction examination. Basically, GRE is asked by top notch universities for post graduate courses or the programs that require students of a higher standard.
3) How easy it is to get admission in German universities?
It depends on the candidate’s background with respect to academics and professional experience. If the candidate has cracked IELTS with a score that a university wants and has working experience too, then it might be easy to get an admission into a university.
4) Is it possible to get admission in Germany without IELTS?
Some universities in Germany do not ask the candidates for IELTS score. You need to research and find out about them and start applying. However, make sure to check if such universities have other considerations or other rules of eligibility such as work experience or any other examination.
5) Is German language certificate required for studying in Germany?
If you are applying for a university that teaches in partial or complete German, then you may require studying German language and getting a certificate to prove its efficiency. Some of the tests include TELC exam, DSH, Goethe-Institut German exam, and TestDaf.
6) Is it possible to work in Germany after the program?
Yes, once you are done with your graduate or post graduate program in the German university, you are allowed to work based on your qualification and academic background. You can research various portals or check in your nearby areas for a right role.
Now that you have enough information about the IELTS for Germany visa, you can start your preparation for the same. You can either start studying on your own by getting materials or you can enrol yourself in a professional coaching center to get the best education. While you are preparing for the test, you can also give mock tests in between to assess your level of understanding with regards to the test.
Make sure you prepare well and crack the exam to get the best score. Based on the score, you can research online and find the universities where you can pursue your international education. Good luck!
Explore other article about Canada i.e. “How to study abroad in Germany”