List of Scholarships in Canada for International Students
Canada is a popular destination for many meritorious students from other countries of the world. There are many universities and educational institutions in Canada, as it is counted as one of the most progressive countries in the field of education. The University of Toronto is the largest university in this country, which ranks among the topmost universities of the world. Several Canadian educational institutions offer scholarships for international students to study different courses in higher studies. Foreign students need to have all the necessary information about these scholarships, to lower their higher education cost in Canada.
How to apply for scholarships for international students in Canada?
- Search for scholarship possibilities – Interested foreign students should start searching for the scholarship offers available from various Canadian institutes. The government of Canada offers some scholarship programs for eligible international students. The website titled Global Affairs Canada should be browsed to know all about these programs, where students need to search by the country to which they belong. PhD students from Canada and other countries can get financial aid from the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program, which offers $50,000 every year for 3 years. The provincial government of Quebec State has special funds for research students, from where they are offered scholarships to continue their postdoctoral studies in various subjects. Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation is another source of scholarships for international students in Canada, as it offers scholarships to 15 meritorious students of doctoral level in the streams of humanities and social science, with the value of $60,000 for per scholarship for the duration of 4 years.
- Get in touch with a Canadian institute – Several Canadian universities offer scholarships for higher studies to students from other countries. A student needs to choose a Canadian university, where his/her preferred subjects are available for higher studies. So it is advised to go through the websites of all prominent universities of Canada, to find the lists of subjects offered there. University of Ottawa, University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, York University, and MacEwan University offer partial grants to foreign students for researching on certain subjects. Some universities offer multiple scholarship programs to international students, for completing their Masters or PhD studies there. All the application guidelines and eligibility criteria are also mentioned on the websites of these universities.
- Check the eligibility criteria of each institute – Generally, foreign students need to be extraordinarily brilliant for studying in any of the Canadian universities. Thus, they need to achieve very high scores in all their examinations throughout their academic careers. The required scores depend on the chosen university, study level, and subjects chosen for higher studies. So students should check whether their scores match the given eligibility criteria of each Canadian university where they prefer to study. Their extracurricular activities and voluntary works during their student life may also have positive effects on the applications for scholarship programs in universities of Canada.
- Find information about private institutions – Some private educational institutions also offer scholarships to international students on higher levels of education. Few non-profit organizations also offer scholarship programs to brilliant students from other countries, who express interests in higher studies in Canada. Foreign students should search information about these scholarship offers from the internet, to avail suitable facilities from these organizations. They should check the scholarship amounts offered in these programs and see if these amounts will be sufficient for their studies.
- Fill up the application form online – International students need to fill up the online forms provided by Canadian universities directly. They only need to download these forms from university websites and fill up with all the required details. Some documents are also needed to be submitted with these forms, to prove their academic qualifications, date of birth, and country of origin. Scan copies of these documents should be uploaded for submitting these application forms on the concerned websites.
Students need to apply for Visa from the Canadian embassy in their countries, once their application to study in a university of Canada is granted, along with the application for a scholarship program. They should produce the offer letters sent by the chosen universities when their applications are granted, to get their Visa very quickly.
Types of scholarships for international students in Canada
Scholarships help potential students to study and succeed in their career. It is a good way to get educated without worrying about the tuition costs. You can find limited scholarships for international students in Canada in comparison with those available in Australia or United Kingdom. Here are a few popular types of scholarships that you can come across in the country:
1) College or University scholarships
A lot of colleges and universities come up with different scholarships every year. You need to keep your eyes on the websites to find the eligibility criteria for those scholarships, and start applying for them. Most of them are entrance scholarships, which is available for majority of the international students and one need not apply for them.
2) Government-funded scholarships
The Canadian government offers graduate and undergraduate scholarships for the foreign students. You can check out the official website of the Canadian government education to find out information on the funding opportunities, scholarships, and fellowships.
3) Merit scholarships
If you are a merit student with an excellent educational background then you may not worry about your financial status. There are many universities in Canada that offer merit scholarships to students who have achieved a great mark in academics, arts, sports, or community work.
4) Financial scholarships
Many people know financial scholarships as bursaries too. It is basically available for international students who are need of finance to continue with their education in Canada. Although many of them offer such an aid to the residents of the country, there are a few reserved for the foreign students too. You have to keep checking the updates on the universities’ websites.
5) Private-funded scholarships
There are some private donors and a few businesses who offer funding for the students to study and get proper education. Some of them are targeted to a specific study area. You need to check the Canadian forums online and make contacts with the current students to fetch more details on it.
6) Country-based scholarships
These type of scholarships are ideally offered to students coming from a particular category of developing countries. For instance, Global Affairs Canada has recently initiated exchange scholarship for the foreign students from Caribbean and Latin America. The official website of the Canadian education has all the information about it.
Here are a few scholarships for International students from different colleges and universities of Canada:
7) Graduate scholarships
- York University scholarship program: It is offered to the students with excellent academic background or you have any work experience of two or more years. The course is designed for a period of four years and you will be eligible for $60,000 to $100,000.
- Lester B. Pearson scholarship: The University of Toronto grants this scholarship for the students coming from different countries of the world. It covers the tuition fees, resident support, incidental fees, and study material. However, you need to have a good academic record and show your talents or skills in any way to achieve the scholarship.
- Winnipeg President Scholarship: The value of this scholarship is $3,500 to $5,000 and it is granted by the University of Winnipeg to the international students who have already made a mark in their career and now need a gentle push to make some advancements.
- Carleton University Entrance Scholarship: Students need to meet the eligibility criteria up to 80% to achieve the value between $4,000 and $16,000.
There are many other colleges and universities that you may check, including Humber College international entrance scholarship, University of British Columbia scholarship, and many more.
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence: It is an award of scholarship that is given to students who are looking forward to do a research-based course. It is offered to merit students who have a good track record. The value would be $2,500 for every term.
- Vanier Canada Graduate scholarships: It is meant for the students who want to pursue doctoral level course in the university. The value fixed for the scholarship for a year is $50,000. It is given for a period of three years.
- University of Calgary awards: The scholarship is given on partial and complete basis to the foreign students. It covers different programs and the value is $1,000 to $40,000 based on the subject you choose.
- University of Manitoba Graduate fellowships: This kind of grant is created for the PhD level of students who want to pursue their doctoral programs here. The value varies based on the program you choose. It is ideally $14,000 to $18,000 for a year.
Now that you have the basic idea about Canadian scholarships to international students, you can start your search for the college or university based on your background and interest. All the best.