UK Student Visa – Check the Study Visa Requirements,Fees and Documents

UK Student Visa – Check the Study Visa Requirements,Fees and Documents

The United Kingdom is one of the many countries that is known for offering best education in streams of science, engineering, business and management, finance, art and design, and law. The country has a reputation for being a world research centre that attracts thousands and lakhs of students every year from different parts of the globe. The education system of the UK witnesses more than 600,000 foreign students to pursue graduate, post graduate, or PhD courses.

If you are planning to study in the United Kingdom, you should apply for a UK student visa. It is applicable for all kinds of courses including short term courses, post doctoral research, and undergraduate and post graduate programs. The requirements of a UK study visa differ from where you are coming, or from which country you are planning to come. For instance, the rules for students coming from EU are different than the ones coming from EFTA or European Free Trade Association.

The general immigration rules are created and managed by the UK Visas and Immigration. Their website is user friendly and provides all the information that students require to know about the student visa to study in the UK. The Brexit has resulted in uncertainty with respect to the study visa for UK. However, as per the government, the will be no change in rights for the EU citizens till the year 2021.

Types of Study Visas for UK

There are three types of UK study visas for the students who are planning to pursue their education in the country. They are:

1) Short term study visa

This type of visa is granted to the students who want to take a short course that lasts for about 6 to 11 months. However, the students have to be over 18 years of age. The visa is applicable for short term training programs and the ones that require research.  The length of study visa would not exceed the course length. The student is allowed to stay in the licensed study place only, and not anywhere else. Also, you can work during the course period to support yourself.

2) Child student visa (Tier 4)

This type of student visa is applicable for students who are aged between 4 and 17 years and who are looking to study independently in the UK. Students need to apply from their own country and are given conditional placement in the college or university. However, they need to have consent from their parent or any guardian and should show that their tuition fees and living costs would be covered by them. This student visa for UK is available for a maximum period of 6 years. The student can however, extend it.

3) General student visa (Tier 4)

It is a standard form of UK student visa that is offered to students who want to pursue any course that lasts for more than 6 months. Students can apply for this visa from their country by providing all the details of the program. It is also essential that they understand English and have the financial capacity to sponsor for the tuition fees, accommodation, and other costs. The length of the visa can be extended to more than 6 months by giving a valid reason, and then the students can either go with higher education or to work further.

UK Student Visa Requirements

There are certain documents that a student needs to submit when applying for UK study visa. There is documentation required for academic and financial records. It is essential for students to go through the checklist before you send the application and go to the visa interview. Also note that it is essential to apply three months early from your course date. Here are some of the important requirements that you should know about.

  • Recent photographs.
  • Passport and details.
  • Proof that you have financial support during your study program or duration in the UK.
  • Complete study visa form.
  • If you are a Swiss or EEA or non-EU student, then you would need an ATAS certificate.
  • Proof of English language, it is mandatory is you are non non-English speaking country. In case you are from English speaking country, then you may not require an English language certificate.
  • Medical report that is authorized by a doctor has to be submitted before the application of visa begins.
  • Proof that the recognized university has accepted your application for the course.
  • In case you are younger than 17 years of age, you would require a written consent from your parents or guardian.

If you are applying for Tier 4 student visa, you would require:

  • Assessment documentation
  • Colored passport size photographs
  • Clearance certificate from ATAS
  • Confirmation from CAS or Acceptance for Studies with the documents and number
  • Financial funding evidence that you are sponsored all through your education and also for your accommodation
  • Tuberculosis screening (not mandatory)

You can check the official website of the British government for more details. Also, you would have to apply online on about three months in advance. Note that your application date is fixed when you pay the application fees.

Sponsorship for UK student visa

Whoever is sponsoring for your education in the UK, be it parents or guardian or family relative, should give the proof of funding. It means that you would require their bank statement to show that your tuition fees, living costs, and accommodation can be conveniently covered by them. For instance, approximately £1,000-1,300 per month would be required to cover all the expenditure of the student.

In any case, you show that you are sponsored partially, then you should show that you have the funds to cover the rest of the expenses. Even if you have an official sponsorship that covers you fully, you need to know that your stay will be under a limitation if you are under Tier 4 student visa. If you are in a special category, you would have to check the official British government website for more details.

How can students with study visa work in the UK?

Students can come across plenty of work opportunities during their stay in the UK. It is possible to work on a student visa, but the restrictions or rules depend on the study program or course chosen. If you are a Swiss, EEA, or EU student, you are allowed to work in the UK. If you are funded publicly and have Tier 4 student visa, then you can work for about 20 hours in a week. It can be during your term or during the Easter and Christmas holidays. However, if you are 16 or 17 years of age, then you would be allowed to work only for 10 hours.

Students who want to stay in the country even after their graduation should however apply for the work visa. In such a case, they should also meet the requirements as international students for post study work visa. For more detailed information about the work hours for students, there are websites such as UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) and UK immigration. These official websites have brief and correct information about the work visa.

Frequently Answered Questions

Students planning to study in the UK and looking forward to apply would still have many doubts. We have some common questions covered under this section.

1) What are the main exams to pass to study in the UK?

Based on the study course or program you selected, you would require taking exams such as GRE, GMAT,             or SAT. Besides that, you have to take English language test, be it IELTS or TOEFL.

2) What is the approximate cost for UK student visa?

It costs £348 if you are applying for the General Student Visa Tier 4. In case there are any dependents who would accompany the main applicant, you would have to pay an additional cost of £348.

3) What is the procedure that an Indian student has to follow to study in the UK?

You need to begin with selecting a course from a list of more than 30,000 programs. Then you have to keep your documents ready and apply for the colleges or universities. Prepare the application process and submit the documents and form by paying the UK visa fee.

4) How much time does it take to get the student visa for the UK?

It takes approximately 3 weeks from the time you have submitted the student visa application under the general student visa tier 4 category.

5) Are students allowed to work after their study program?

Yes, international students who completed their undergraduate or post graduate course are allowed to work in the UK if they meet the requirements. There are no stringent restrictions regarding the same.

Once you are aware about all the procedures and rules regarding the student visa to study in the UK, it becomes easier for you to move ahead with the visa application procedure. All the best!

Along with the above, explore more about “How to study abroad in UK

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *