Why is Canada the perfect destination to study abroad?
Think Global Education, Think Canada! Study Abroad
Studying abroad is a dream for many Indian students who wish to pursue an international career. But then it is not easy to choose which country to move in. Are you one among those who feel that the country of maple leaves is your calling, but you’re still not able to make up your mind due to dearth of information? Don’t worry! This is something very natural. Studying at a university and that too in a different country is an enriching experience and you must not miss out on the relevant details. Canada has been attracting a lot of international students. In the year 2017, 500,000 students from across the global were studying at all levels in Canada. Let us explore few of those reasons together which will help you know as to why Canada is your best shot to higher education!
Why study in Canada?
- World Class Education: Canada offers high quality education which happens to be the determining factor when thinking about education in a foreign land. It offers globally recognised degrees which enhances your prospects in the international labor market. Few of the best global universities are in Canada. 26 Canada’s university made it to the QS World University Ranking 2019 and 27 of them were listed in the The World University Ranking 2019.
- Affordable Tuition Fee: Global education is a dream for many but the expensive cost of education douses their spirit. Canada’s universities when compared with those of US and UK are quite affordable. In order to further lessen your financial burden the students can apply to a range of scholarships.
- Scholarships: A wide variety of scholarship programmes are offered to International students by the Canadian Universities and colleges. These scholarships are offered primarily to merit students. However, other factors like your chosen destination, the course you wish to pursue and the level are also a part of the criterion.
- Research Opportunities: With a strong focus on Research & Development, Canada is the ultimate destination for research scholars. The Government of the country in order to strengthen the research environment offers support to the scholars in fields like, Medicine, Environmental Science & Technology, Agriculture,etc.
- Safe country: Safety is one of the most decisive factor for international students. Canada is a safe and peaceful country. It has been consistently ranked as one of the most safest nations in the world. Canada was listed as the sixth most peaceful country across the globe according to Global Peace Index,2018. It offers same rights to international students as are enjoyed by Canadians.
- You can work while you study: International students are allowed to work part-time for upto 20 hours in a week during their semesters and full-time during their summer and winter breaks. Isn’t it cool?
- High-Tech country: Canada was the first country in the world to identify the need to connect schools and libraries to the internet. The Canadian School Net programme is being copied now across the globe. Canada is a leader when it comes to Computer and Information Technology. Certainly, studying in a country which sets benchmark for the rest of the world in terms of IT which enhance your educational experience and knowledge.
- Develop Language Skills: Canada is a bilingual country and thus provides the international students an excellent opportunity to develop their language skills. This in turn enhances their prospects to pursue an international career. Coursework in English and French is an essential part of educational system of Canada.
- Cultural Diversity: The people in Canada hail from varied ethnic backgrounds representative of different culture and lifestyle. Multicultural environment promotes friendliness and peace which is very well exhibited in the warmth that its people exudes. A lot of Indians are studying, living and working in Canada.
- Immigration Opportunities: The post graduation work permit of Canada allows the international students to stay and work in Canada for upto 3 years. This allows the students to gain some international work experience post their graduation. Later if the student wants they can also apply for a Permanent Residency for Canada.
Cost of Living in Canada:
- Tuition Fee: When talking about cost, tuition fee is going to be your main expenditure. The tuition fee will be somewhere CAD 7000 and CAD 29000 per year depending on the qualification and institution you wish to study in. MBA will be the most expensive of all programs. If you intend to pursue courses in arts, humanities and education then it will be cheaper as compared to medicine and engineering.
For undergraduate courses the average annual fee will be somewhere between $12000 to $ 25000. For postgraduate master’s degree you’ll need to spend something between $14,000 to $35,000 per year. For doctoral programs the cost will range between $7,000 to $10,000 per year.
- Accomodation: Indian students can choose to live on campus or off campus. The universities offer townhouses or dormitories options for international students. On-campus accommodation will cost you around CAD 8,000 to CAD 10,000 annually. So if you plan to live on campus make sure to apply well within time in order to secure a slot for yourself.Off-campus accommodation is also available on rent. You can get yourself a Shared apartment/condominium on rent. Remember the rentals will vary from one city to another. Living in a shared apartment may cost you around CAD 400 to CAD 700 depending upon your city and location.
Top Cities For Education In Canada:
Canada has gained prominence on the world map in terms of quality education. Here’s a list of 5 best students cities of Canada for international students:
Scholarships in Canada for International Students:
Universities in Canada offer quite a few scholarships to the international students. It is a great way to fund your education. As an Indian student you can choose to apply for these scholarships:
- Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute: It offers various fellowship programs at different levels of education to students.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program: This offers scholarship to graduate students for different disciplines. Students must accept an offer from a university in Ontario and should also procure a valid study permit as a prerequisite to applying for this program.
- Quebec Provincial Government Scholarship: This scholarship is meant for students who are studying in Quebec. Financial assistance under this scheme is meant for the students who are at master’s level or above.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship: This scholarship is for the doctoral students from across the globe to study in Ontario. The scholarship amount is $40000 per year for a maximum of 4 years. Each year 75 such scholarships are awarded.
- Partnership Grants by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada: This scholarship is awarded to PhD students. It supports both new and existing research initiatives in humanities and social sciences. The scholarship is duration is 4 to 7 years and amount of scholarship is CAD 20000.
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan: This programme is for the students with high intellect and who hail from commonwealth nations. It covers the traveling, living allowance and tuition fee of the students who are applying to programs of advanced study and research at the masters and PhD level.
Canada Study Culture:
The study culture of Canada is highly diverse and multicultural in its approach. The system is inclusive and very supportive of its students. This quality of incivility and diversity is very well manifested in the classroom where students of different beliefs, sexual orientation, religion and abilities sit together and study. Safety and security of students and teachers is an hallmark of Canadian study culture. Canadian education system has great regard for academic freedom and innovation. As such the classrooms provide great opportunity to the students to explore their full potential by carrying original research in their respective fields.
How to Apply in Canadian Universities:
Here is a list of few steps that you need to bear in mind while applying in Canadian Universities.
- Step 1: Research and make a list of universities you wish to apply for.
- Step 2: Once you have figured out the universities of your choice the next step is to check the admission requirements,which must include:
- Language requirements
- Admission time and date
- Credit score required for the program you wish to apply for
- Application letter
- Personal profile of the student
- Step 3 : The next step is the submission of all relevant documents which will include; your complete application form for the course, a certificate copy of your diploma or certificate, letter of intent. Language scores that are not more than one year old for English or French. For English the scores of IELTS, TOEFL and C1 Advanced are generally accepted while that for French the scores of TEF, TCF, DALF and DELF are accepted.
You also need to submit a proof of funds in order to ensure that you are financially sound to support your education. When applying for the masters or PHD program you need to have two letters of your academic reference coupled with any previous letters of employment. If you have not studied in Canada then you need to get your education assessed by ECA. All the above documents need to be translated into either English or French by a certified translator.
- Step 4: Once your application is processed by the university you will get your offer of acceptance after which the next thing is to get your study permit
Student Visa Requirements For Canada
In order to study in Canada you need to procure the study permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRA). The study permit is not a visa but a permit issued by the citizen and immigration (CIC) which allows you to study in Canada. Along with your study permit you also need to have a TRA to ensure your entry inside Canada
Documents required for your study permit:
- A valid passport or travel document
- Acceptance letter from your educational institution.
Along with these you need to also furnish a couple of other documents, which includes
- Proof of Funds to show that you have enough funds to support your education, living expenses of yourself and any family member who accompanies you to Canada, return transportation of yourself and your family member
- A police certificate in order to prove that you are a law abiding person with no criminal record,
- Have the intent to move to Canada for the sole purpose of studying,
- You have informed the Canadian immigration office that you will leave after the completion of your studies and,
- Lastly if you intend to study in Canada for a period of more than six months then you must procure a medical certificate from an approved doctor from a Canadian Panel of Physicians.
Apart from this you need to appear for an personal interview at the Canadian embassy or consulate.
We hope this article will be helpful for you to embark upon your journey of Global Education.